Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:24:42 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: world's toolchain & CPUTYPE

On Sun, 2006-Feb-26 18:50:09 +0300, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>- tried to install the world over NFS on an old Pentium machine
>  with some 5.3-BETA;

This isn't supported in general.  It should work if:
- Both the buildhost and install target are running the same OS date
- The installed OS on buildhost was built to the lowest common denominator
  of both hosts (ie CPU_TYPE=pentium or lower in your case)
- src and obj have the same absolute pathnames (including symlink
  expansions in src).

The supported approach is to NFS mount the target onto the buildhost
and use "make DESTDIR=/target installworld"

>Quick investigation showed that the world was built using generic
>i386 code, as expected,

Good.

> but its toolchain was linked against the
>builder system libs contaminated by Athlon-specific code.

Also, as expected.

>I used to be under impression that a world's toolchain should be
>fairly independent from the builder system.

Not true.  The buildworld toolchain is a cross-compilation system
designed to run on the existing host OS version whilst building
executables that will run on the target OS version.  Of necessity, the
toolchain compiles and links against the installed include files and
libraries on the host system.

--
Peter Jeremy