Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:59:03 +0800 (CST)
From:      Hoffmann Yen-Wei Liu <ywliu1@tao.sinanet.com.tw>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 SNAP & CD-ROM

> From: Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:44:30 -0600 (GMT-0600)
> Subject: Help! 971006 SNAP CD-ROM...
>
> Hi!
>
> I bought the FreeBSD 3.0 October 6, 1997 Snapshot CD from WC, but I was
> not able to install it...  It seems that the ATAPI CD-ROM support is
> broken. I tried the floppy method and the direct install.bat method, both
> of them boots and presents the install options screen... but when I try to
> select CDROM as the media to use, it complains that no CD-ROM drive is
> installed. I'm not even able to see if the drive was found during the
> probe, 'cause it is not possible to see the boot log...
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Victor Carranza

Same here !! Looks like this is not a special case. My 3.0 Snapshot
copy just couldn't find the 2nd IDE port, which my CD-ROM is connected
to !!

My computer is a normal VX board, AMD 5x86, Teac 6x IDE CD-ROM. This
, at least, works under DOS, Win95.

BTW, I do remember back in 2.2.1 (??), on some configuartion, the boot
disk cannot find the CD-ROM, but after installed, a new , customised
kernel can find the AT-API CD-ROM. SO I wonder if this is the same case...

Yen-Wei Liu