Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 14:43:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        techadm@elvisti.kiev.ua, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P6/Pro MB and P6-200

		Hi there folx,

> >	After jkh@ posted here about his intentions to get
> >	latest ASUS  Ppro motherboard and 200Mhz CPU I decided
> >	to get one here too  and well, here it is now :)
> >
> >	Runs just fantastic ! - in full accordance with expectations,
> >	but the problem is I can't find 200 Mhz CPU.
> >	The motherboard is shipped from ASUS with 150Mhz CPU and it's
> >	not clear who carries the 200Mhz one ?
> >
>    The biggest problem with the ASUS P6 motherboard is the poor PCI
> performance. DMA writes to memory are very slow because the PCI write buffer
> is disabled. It's disabled to work around a bug in the Intel Orion chipset
> that causes the data to get corrupted if it is enabled. With it disabled, the
> top performance of PCI DMA writes to memory is about 4.4MB/sec. This is too
> slow for fast (100Mbit) ethernet, for example, and causes half of the packets
> to get dropped.

	Hmmm ... interesting ... does it mean that those ppl from ASUS
	will come up with some workaround for it later - when the problem
	will be fixed , or I will have to live with this sad limit ? :)

	Personally I didnt mention that the PCI is _that slow ...
	At least the AHA 2940 I have here work pretty fast -
	I run some pretty simple tests , like cp'ing ~40Mb
	file into /dev/null and saw the read speeds ~ 7 - 8 Mb sec
	off the Seagate Barracuda 2 Gb.

	Too bad for ASUS ... doesn't make any sense to me - I mean
	buying these MBs , now that I know about this :((

	Rashid