Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter licence update

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I agree, it is his perogative.  I am glad he wrote it.   It is excellent
> software.  However, he is making a choice and other people don't have to
> like it, based on sound OpenSource criteria (which he never claimed IPFilter
> was).  He can not expect anybody else to feel that it is OK to have non-open
> software incorporated into the base system of an open OS.  I say open the
> source up completely under the BSD or equivalent license (as released in the
> FreeBSD OS) or remove it from the base OS.

FreeBSD never said it needed to have all Open Source criteria software
(okay, I admit I'm pulling that right out of my ass, but that's the sense
I get from hanging out on about 8 lists for the past 6 months). And you
have to remember that for some people the GPL software is much worse in
the licensing sense than the license attached to IPFilter.

-gordon