Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:51:39 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Rong-En Fan <grafan@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lpt0 disappear (ppc related)

On Apr 30, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Rong-En Fan wrote:

> On 4/30/06, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Rong-En Fan wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > After upgrading from Apr 11 to Arp 29. I found that my lpt0
>> > disappearing,
>> > and ppc0 is no longer attached.
>>
>> You need to configure your kernel with acpi. The ppc(4) driver ends
>> up without acpi attachment because of that. This causes it to try
>> the isa attachment, but that fails.
>
> I have acpi.ko loaded.

Which means you don't have device acpi configured into the kernel.

> Before the change, ppc0 was found on
> acpi0 (see my dmesg).

That's because you have device isa configured into the kernel and
the acpi attachment was coupled to device isa. I uncoupled it with
the commit, because device acpi needs to be able to exist without
there being a device isa. So, the acpi attachment for ppc(4) exists
only when device acpi is configured in the kernel.
Alternatively, someone needs to make a module for ppc(4).

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel@xcllnt.net