Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 19:09:27 -0400
From:      Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@lince.tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is traditional unixes kernel really stable ?

Gustavo V G C Rios wrote:

> "Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO" wrote:
>
> > only one :-) performance :-) context switch is a slow operation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > emax
>
> Excuse me gentleman, who said that ?
> Take time to visit this site: http://www.qnx.com/iat/download/index.html
>
> You'll be introduced to a hard-real time OS (with a very modular
> design).
> The while OS fits in a single floppy with TCP/IP, GUI, web browser, http
> server, and again, all that in a single floppy. HOw can it be done?
>
> This OS uses microkernel arch.
> Fill their form in order to get a book describing its OS internal arch.
>
> Can some here explain me why such approach is not taken by FreeBSD?
>
> PS: I never seen anything fast and reliable like that.

Ugh...isn't it obvious by now that this is a shameless pitch for QNX...
It is sad that people here actually respond to this sort of thing.
"How come you guys are not like Linux?" questions should have
developed some tolerance in you..

QNX is great and all the power to it. This is FreeBSD and it is unix and BSD
and as such it is what it is. If it would take a QNX approach then it would not be
FreeBSD but something rather different. Thats the answer...

I am sure some people somwhere work on marrying microkernels and bsd systems
and in fact isn't this what Darwin is all about? If you like it - there is probably a
darwin mailing list.
--Ugen