Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:03:29 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7-RC1

--==_Exmh_-1152704395P

FreeBSD 4.7-RC1 (the first release candidate for FreeBSD 4.7) is now
available for the i386 architecture from the usual FTP sites.  Both an
FTP site and a "miniinst" ISO image are available, respectively from:

ftp://<mirror-site>/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RC1/
ftp://<mirror-site>/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.7/

No packages are available for this snapshot, due to some
recently-discovered problems with our package support.  These will be
resolved in time for the 4.7-RC2 snapshot.

We invite interested users to try out the release candidates and
provide feedback (via the qa@ list) on issues to be fixed before
4.7-RELEASE, currently scheduled for 1 October 2002.  At least one
(possibly two) more release candidate snapshots will be uploaded
before the final release.

Before reporting problems, please check the QA page for this
release-in-progress, to make sure that a problem has not already been
encountered:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/qa.html

FreeBSD 4.7-RC1 for the alpha architecture is currently being uploaded
and should be available shortly.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Bruce A. Mah
(for the Release Engineering team)