Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:01:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SO_KEEPALIVE - New feature patch enclosed.

> While we're on this topic, someone asked in comp.protocols.tcp-ip about tuning
> the keepalive timer[...]
> [...]
> We already have net.inet.tcp.{keepidle,keepintvl} but it might be worth
> thinking about adding the TCP_KEEPALIVE socket option.

Uh, uh, uh, HUH?  Check the message you're replying to, for a patch that
does precisely that.  I created a "net.inet.tcp.keepalive", that if set to a
nonzero value, sets the SO_KEEPALIVE flag on new sockets as they are
created, on a systemwide basis.

I think it's even done almost correctly.

The intended application is ISP's and other sites where large numbers of
session hangs may happen...

> P.S. Is it documented anywhere that net.inet.tcp.{keepidle,keepintvl} are in
> units of 500ms?  Should it be?

I did not see any such documentation.  My keepalive mod is similarly
undocumented...  I have no idea where to document it.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968