Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 13:26:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        eric_berchtold@bbs.fullcoll.edu (Eric Berchtold)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: superuser

> heya
>         Ive been playing around with a copy of FreeBSD V2.0, and I tried
> logging on as SU.  When I was installing it, it never told me what the
> su password was.  Do you know what the default would be?  Or, what is

This is an old 'misunderstanding' and I believe
it has been changed meanwhile.

The old message, saying
don't login as root, use 'su'

was meant as a hint to the (knowledgable) unix user
to avoid logging in as root (for security reasons)
and use the 'su' command instead after having logged in
as a normal user. This requires this user to
belong to the group 'wheel' (/etc/groups) btw.

This was leading to questions like yours in the past.
After FreeBSD installation the superuser (root) does not
have a password allowing to login as root with no password
in multiuser mode. You can (and should) change
this by using the passwd command.

There is no user or superuser called 'su'.

> the file that I would have to view to see what the password is.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The passwords are encrypted. You can change other information
of specific users by using the vipw command.
Also there is a adduser script (don't know if it came with
2.0 already).

I'd recommend to switch to 2.0.5 anyway once you got acquainted with
FreeBSD.