Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:58:47 -0500
From:      Karim Fodil-Lemelin <fodillemlinkarim@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM blade server abysmal disk write performances

On 18/01/2013 10:16 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:12:17 -0600, Karim Fodil-Lemelin
> <fodillemlinkarim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "SAS controllers may connect to SATA devices, either directly
>> connected using native SATA protocol or through SAS expanders using
>> SATA Tunneled Protocol (STP)."
>>  The systems is currently put in place using SATA instead of SAS
>> although its using the same interface and backplane connectors and
>> the drives (SATA) show as da0 in BSD _but_ with the SATA drive we get
>> *much* better performances. I am thinking that something fancy in
>> that SAS drive is not being handled correctly by the FreeBSD driver.
>> I am planning to revisit the SAS drive issue at a later point
>> (sometimes next week).
>
> Your SATA drives are connected directly not with an interposer such as
> the LSISS9252, correct? If so, this might be the cause of your
> problems. Mixing SAS and SATA drives is known to cause serious
> performance issues for almost every
> JBOD/controller/expander/what-have-you. Change your configuration so
> there is only one protocol being spoken on the bus (SAS) by putting
> your SATA drives behind interposers which translate SAS to SATA just
> before the disk. This will solve many problems.
Not sure what you mean by this but isn't the mpt detecting an interposer
in this line:

mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem
0x99910000-0x99913fff,0x99900000-0x9990ffff irq 28 at device 0.0 on pci11
mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.20.0
mpt0: Capabilities: ( RAID-0 RAID-1E RAID-1 )
mpt0: 0 Active Volumes (2 Max)
mpt0: 0 Hidden Drive Members (14 Max)

Also please not SATA speed in that same hardware setup works just fine.
In any case I will have a look.

Thanks,

Karim.