Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:54:53 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        all@biosys.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

> This is a pretty silly, uninformed response.  First, just off the top, it
> doesn't make any sense.  What if you have a "dumb" auto-negotiating
> switch?  I have such a switch, a Linksys EtherFast II 16port 10/100.  There
> is no way to tell the switch what setting any of the ports should be in,
> nor have I ever needed such an option.

As long as auto-negotiation works (and any cards plugged into this switch
are set to auto-negotiate), you should be fine.

> The switch has never failed to negotiate the correct setting with whatever
> is plugged into it, nor has it ever had a problem matching whatever I
> assign to an interface I have plugged into it.

If whatever you plug into the switch is set *not* to autonegotiate (ie.
is set manually to full duplex), you cannot count on the switch to get
the duplex setting correct. In some cases it'll work, in other cases
it won't. If it always works for you - great. But don't count on this
working as a general rule - there are plenty of examples to disprove it.

> I think perhaps you should stop repeating yourself and go read up on how
> autonegotiation actually works.. what you've been saying is only true (in
> my experience) if you're plugging one NIC directly into another via a
> crossover cable.

He's certainly not the only one who firmly believes that one end set to
auto-negotiate and one end set manually is a good way to create problems
for yourself.