Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:45:26 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

At 08:38 PM 10/9/2001, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

>> However, the chance that a law restricting software or hardware in
>> that way would pass is virtually nil.
>
>Are you really this naive, or have simply not paying attention to how
>Congress treats copyright law?

Congress treats copyright law the same way it treats any other law:
the most powerful, richest interests and the biggest campaign
contributors win. And you can bet that heavy hitters such as Microsoft,
AOL, HP, Compaq, Dell, Sun, EDS, and IBM -- to name just a few -- will
oppose it. They don't want anything legislated into their products.

>Ever hear of CPRM (Content Protection for Recordable Media)

Dead in the water.

>Make no mistake about it, "they" want to control what digital content you
>get to see, hear, and read,

Of course they do. But they won't.

We can lobby our representatives in Congress, but it'll do little
good. If we want results, all we have to do is make sure that the
big corporations know what Hollings' foolish bill will do... and
Poof! it'll vanish in committee.

--Brett