Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:12:47 -0400
From:      "Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
To:        "Ladavac Marino" <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Using MS on FreeBSD sites

  Don't get me wrong. I use MS products myself at home and work (actually,
this e-mail is written in Outlook). Honestly, I don't expect there are that
many people (proportionally) who can say they don't use *any* MS products
ever. The only reason I even bothered mentioning it is that I have my share
of headaches from linux kids who seem to get a kick out of pointing out
anything associated with FreeBSD (even, as in this case, unofficially) that
involves MS. Just like some FreeBSD fans get kicks out of pointing out when
anything related to linux involves MS (or even FreeBSD, ie. the recent talk
about linuxcountry.com being hosting on FreeBSD).
  I have to admit that I have been rather paranoid lately because I have a
number of proposals for projects where I have suggested FreeBSD and am
having to fight off attacks from the linux front. I've actually had a server
at my own office get linuxed despite my protests (I server *I* have to
maintain) after the linux advocate pulled up every piece of dirt he could
find on FreeBSD. Whether or not FreeBSDDiary.com is designed with Microsoft
FrontPage may not qualify as dirt, but I won't be surprised when somehow it
gets turned into an argument for linux and shows up during my next server
proposal.

  I know the world isn't black and white, there are plenty of products from
plenty of manufactures, all of which we use either because we want to or
have to. I assume most, if not all, FreeBSD advocates realize this and
realize there is plenty of room for healthy competition between all
operating systems and all applications. The question is: are all other
advocates playing by the same rules?

  I really didn't mean to offend anyone by pointing out the site was done in
FrontPage (I don't care for FrontPage myself, but then again, I used another
MS product for my web design: notepad :) ).

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@posi.net~
  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve - http://www.freebsd.org/
  Join Team FreeBSD - http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD