Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:38:41 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed patch to inform users of fetchindex

On Mon, 31.01.2005 at 15:56:26 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> >IMHO saying this is equivalent to saying that one should use GENERIC
> >kernel.
>
> Um, no, the two things are not even close to equivalent. Anyone who
> wants/needs to dig deeply enough into the ports infrastructure that they
> must build a cusomized index file is welcome to all the pain that comes
> with that endeavor. Once again, for the average user (and I count myself
> in that camp for this purpose), 'make fetchindex' is what they really
> need, and we should make it easier for them to find it.

Well, I like building my own INDEX, it often breaks because
people overlook small errors hiding away in hidden WITH_FOO defines.

e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=76951

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44