Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2020 09:10:31 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Gordon Bergling <gbergling@googlemail.com>, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>, Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: More secure permissions for /root and /etc/sysctl.conf

On February 2, 2020 10:08:12 AM PST, "Rodney W=2E Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndr=
sh=2Ednsmgr=2Enet> wrote:
>[ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting=2E=2E=2E ]
>> Ben Woods wrote on 2020/02/02 02:46:
>>=20
>> [=2E=2E=2E]
>> > DragonFlyBSD 5=2E6=2E2 =3D 700
>> > HardenedBSD build 104 =3D 755
>> > NetBSD 9=2E0 RC1 =3D 755
>> > OpenBSD 6=2E6 =3D 700
>> >=20
>> > For what it's worth, I am broadly supportive of this because I see
>no
>> > reason for /root to be world readable=2E
>>=20
>> +1
>>=20
>> I see no reason for world readable /root too=2E
>> We always set user's homes to 0700 (subdirs of /usr/home)=2E
>
>Who is "We" in this context?
>
>FreeBSD's default for home directories is 755=2E
>
>And as I have stated before anyone who is taking group rx off
>of /root is fooling themselves as that just creates pain for
>members of group wheel who now needlessly need to su to
>see /root's files=2E
>
>If you have issues with group wheel being able to read /root
>you have far far bigger problems that need addressed than
>a simple chmod g-rw /root is going to fix=2E

Agreed=2E

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E=20
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: https://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E