Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:50:10 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody heard of fgetwpent() and putpwent()?

On Dec 12, 1997 at 11:56:00AM -0800, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
> I don't have these calls on my 2.2.5 box, nor my 3.0 box.  I'm trying to
> compile some qmail add-on code that uses these functions...

     PUTPWENT(3C)                DYNIX/ptx                PUTPWENT(3C)

     NAME
          putpwent - write password file entry

     SYNOPSIS
          #include <pwd.h>

          int putpwent (p, f)
          struct passwd *p;
          FILE *f;

     DESCRIPTION
          putpwent is the inverse of getpwent(3C).  Given a pointer to
          a passwd structure created by getpwent (or getpwuid or
          getpwnam), putpwent writes a line on the stream f, which
          matches the format of /etc/passwd.

     SEE ALSO
          mkpwdbm(1), getpwent(3C)

     DIAGNOSTICS
          putpwent returns non-zero if an error was detected during
          its operation, otherwise zero.

     WARNINGS
          The above routine uses <stdio.h>, which causes an increase
          in the size of programs, not otherwise using standard I/O,
          more than might be expected.

I'm not really sure why this is useful, but I suppose that you could do
the same thing with a printf() format string.
--
Jonathan