Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:02:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        walter@bios.unc.edu (Bruce Walter)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NFS/mount bug???

> > Just as a little aside, I've seen this on Linux and NetBSD as well...  On
> > NetBSD it seems trouble is not far behind when you go to umount them...
> > >
> > > Just noticed an interesting thing...  I typed mount -a twice (don't ask
> > > why) and all-of-a-sudden, mount shows the following:
>
> So far, after a couple-or-ten experiments, no troubles have arisen from
> the multiple mounts/umounts, so it appears we're a click better off than
> NetBSD.  I seem to remember the NFS code being a real bear though, so
> I'll leave it up to the experts... ;)

Mount points are allowed to be reused.  This is intentional, and should
work for NetBSD as well (or they need to fix it).

This is part of the stacking architecture.

Consider:

1)	Mount msdosfs on /dos
2)	Mount umsdos stacking layer on /dos as a consumer of the msdosfs
	previously mounted on /dos

Voila, umsdos support in a stacking layer instead of as a bunch of
conditional hacks to msdosfs.

It's an error for mount -a to cause this, though, since the fstab
mounts should be considered an "instance" for the purposes of comparison,
and the remount (effectively from the same input) should have been
ignored ("this fstab line is already a mount instance").

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.