Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:55:42 -0400
From:      Chris Inacio <nacho319@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: port variants

On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Chris Inacio <nacho319@gmail.com> wrote:=

>> I was recently asked to do some FreeBSD ports support work.  I mostly use=
>> Mac and the MacPorts system.  MacPorts has the concept of a variant for a=

>> port, but I can't find the analogue in the FreeBSD system.
>>=20
>> Does the FreeBSD ports system have the concept of a variant?  If so, can
>> someone point me in the right direction on how to create one?
>=20
> Describing what a "variant" is, how it works in MacPorts, and what you
> are trying to do would help a lot.  :)
>=20
> The closest guess I could make would be "slave port", but I don't
> think that works the same way.
>=20
Sorry, you're right.=20

For example, a port of say Emacs could have a variant of X11.=20

So Emacs or Emacs+X11.=20

The X11 variant would (somewhat obviously) include building regular Emacs bu=
t also the X11 toolbar etc. while Emacs wouldn't include any X11 features (&=
 dependencies).=20

On the Mac, we can build universal binaries (PowerPC, ia32, and x86_64), at t=
he cost of disk space. So we can build almost any package with the +universa=
l variant.=20

Is that a reasonable explanation?

Chris