Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:50:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, imp@village.org, iwasaki@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: pccard differences between -current and -stable

Hi all,

On 27-Jun-00 Duncan Barclay wrote:
> Hi Warner
>
> I'm having mixed success in getting my raylink driver running under RELENG_4.
> If I use pccardc enable things are good, but pccardd is really screwed.
>
> In both -current and -stable, using debuglevel 1 in pccard.conf shows that
> pccardd still seems to have remants of the old ed driver hacks - viz. the
> card memory offset is set to 0x4000 and it is assumed that the common
> memory is 16bits (the raylink uses 8bits).
>
> The thing is that under -current my raylink driver and NBK seem to just
> ignore these settings but under stable the settings seem to persist. This is
> with identical pcic controllers - do you expect this behaviour?
>
> Where should I start looking to fix it?
>
> Duncan

I think I've found it, around
       pccard/pccardd/cardd.c:585
we still totally ignore the card offset and force it to 0x4000. My earlier
tests were working as I am using a current that doesn't set the MDF_ASSSIGNED
flag. This is obviously wrong in general and breaks the raylink driver.

It appears that some of the logic that tests whether we have an ed card is
broken and that the memory settings are adjusted whatever card is used.
Is my reading of the code right?
        pccard/pccardd/cardd.c:562

        if (!(strncmp(sp->config->driver->name, "ed", 2) == 0
                && (sp->config->flags & 0x10))
                && (cisconf->memspace || (defconf && defconf->memspace))) {

As I'm not really familiar with this code, could someone fix this.

Many thanks,

Duncan

---