Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 13:22:21 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's in my hard drive? How can I get rid of it?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:42:27 -0500, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> Also be aware that some juries have been known to accept the argument that
> incriminating evidence _must_ have been on the disk since you went to such
> trouble to destroy it. And so they vote 'guilty' despite there not being
> any direct evidence of any crime.

Excuse me, but what poop-minded movie is _that_ from?!

In my (layman's) education about law I learned that "could",
"would", "should", and a bright imagination don't lead you
anywhere in a constituational state that is prout on providing
a legal system under the requirements of the rule of law.
It's the job of the investigators to _prove_ you're guilty,
not your job to prove you're not. Of course, that job isn't
always easy, I can understand this, and far too often, the
criminals get away because they know "some clever tricks".
But it's fully unacceptable that the whole thing turns around
in such a way that there is a _chance_ that innocent people
get convicted because of the _absence_ of evidence.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany