Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:10:59 +0200
From:      Marc Veldman <lurkie@wxs.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fixit disk with networking!

Thomas Reilly wrote:

> I recently had a hard drive failure and I have lost /usr which contains
> all my important files etc
> Now all i am left with is /usr  and a lost+found directory which
> contains thousands of files prefixed with a # eg #691843 (last file)
> I haven't even got the basic tools to look at the files, like the
> command more for example!
> What i want to do is use a fixit disk with networking to ftp the files
> to another computer to
> see what i  can salvage! I tried using a fixit disk but the kernel
> doesn't have the drivers for ep0, my
> 3com 3c905 NIC.
> My question is: Is it possible to get a fixit disk that has a kernel
> that has the appropriate drivers so
> i can ifconfig the card?? and hopefully recover some of my files!!
> I am currently running FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE

In the handbook (for version 2.2.7, it is gone from the 3.1 handbook)
is a section on 'Preparing for the disaster' which has
useful pointers on creating a custom boot floppy.
You would need to modify it to include networking support, look at init(8) and
rc(8) for more on the reboot scripts.
If you have another FreeBSD machine handy, it would probably be easier to
just take out the disk, and put into the other machine. You could then mount
it and go from there.

Hope this helps,

Marc Veldman