Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:43:47 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, the_srinivas@hotmail.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP&IP cksum offload on FreeBSD 4.2

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 01:01:20 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> > >I'm trying to use the TCP&IP checksum offload capability of the Netgear
> > >GA620 NIC from a SMP FreeBSD 4.2R system running on a typical PIII SBC.
> > >I did enable TCP&IP cksum offload for receive operations by setting the
> > >if_hwassist flag in the driver /sys/pci/if_ti.c and verified that it is
> > >working. However I'm unable to offload TCP&IP checksum for the send
> > >operations.
> >
> > All you need to do is uncomment the TI_CSUM_FEATURES flag at the top
> > of the file, and recompile.
>
> He didn't say his packet size, either.
>
> To the original poster: if you are sending jumbograms, the
> buffer size on these cards is limited, so the entire packet
> can't be in the card buffer at the same time, which means
> that you can not offload the send checksum for jumbograms,
> only for regular sized packets.

You've got things confused.  I think that may be a limitation of some
SysKonnect boards, but certainly isn't a Tigon limitation.

Tigon boards come with 512KB, 1MB, or 2MB (never seen one of these) of SRAM
on board.  The firmware takes a couple hundred KB, so you generally have at
least 200KB, and possibly a good bit more for packet storage space on the
card.

So there is buffer space for a number of packets on both the send and
receive sides, and checksumming works in both directions.

> Also note that this card is not known to be the fastest
> one ot there, so you may be better off doing the checksum
> on your 1GHz+ host processor instead.

You can get wire rate with a Tigon 2 board, with jumbo frames at least.
(That's with checksum offloading enabled.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org