Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:52:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        harpo@javanet.com (John Szumowski)
Cc:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade buggy sysinstall?

> Wolfgang Helbig wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > The ERRATA.TXT in the 2.2.2-RELEASE directory on the FreeBSD
> > mirrors says it all:
> [snip]
> > o sysconfig scrambles rc.conf if run again.
> >
> > Fix:  Get updated /usr/src from RELENG_2_2 branch and build
> >       /usr/src/release/sysinstall, copying the new binary to /stand.
> >
> >       If you do not have enough space for src then you could also
> >       use the boot/fixit floppy combo from a later 2.2-YYMMDD-RELENG
> >       release to simply mount your root partition (using the Fixit
> >       option) and copy /stand/sysinstall from the floppy to /stand on
> >       your root fs.
> [snip]
> >
> > Wolfgang
> Yeah, I read that. The point was I didn't want to get all of the updates
> to the source tree if I could avoid doing so.
> All I'm looking for is the couple of c files or whatever needed to build
> myself a copy of the newer sysinstall. (FTP directory?)
> I did try the floppy- but when I mounted it under freebsd, there wasn't
> any "stand" directory...

As far as I know, you need to boot from the latest FreeBSD 2.2-stable
boot floppy, configure the kernel (again :-( ...) and select
``Fixit'' from the installation menu. After you find yourself in
a shell you should mount your disk's root partition. For example
if it's on wd0 you should enter

# mount /dev/wd0a /mnt

Then you copy the new sysinstall from /stand/sysinstall to
/mnt/stand/sysinstall.

Leave the shell (enter exit), exit the installation, reboot from
your disk and you should be done.

You'll find the latest boot.flp/fixit.flp on
FreeBSD/2.2-970801-RELENG/floppies on any FreeBSD mirror.

Hope this helps

Wolfgang