Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:13:27 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports Documentation Index - the next installment

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:25:40AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> I've been doing some work on the perl(1) scripts that Andrew Boothman
> started sometime ago that create /var/db/pkg/${PORTNAME}/+DOCS for
> each installed port and then build an HTML file containing links to
> all the installed docs.

Great.  Looks nice (there's a "but" coming, you can tell. . .)

>     4. The filename is displayed instead of "Title Unknown" for
>        non-HTML files (although HTML files that have no
>        <title></title> tag are still listed as "Title Unknown").

Try using the content of the first <h?> element, and falling back to the
filename as a last resort.

For ports with documentation split over multiple files it links to all of
them, instead of just the index file.  That's going to be a problem with
any automated solution -- as and when porters start writing +DOCS files
themselves that should be less of a problem.

There's another angle I think that's worth investigating.  At the O'Reilly
docs summit a couple of months back, representatives from the GNOME, KDE,
and Linux documentation projects were all looking at the similar problem
of getting apps to register their documentation, and also to try and
provide an interface over and above simple HTML.

From memory, the two best people to liase with about this are Guyhelm
Aznar <guyhelm@metalab.unc.edu> and Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr>.