Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 04:55:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), karsten@rohrbach.de (Karsten W. Rohrbach), andre@akademie3000.de (Andre Albsmeier), intmktg@CAM.ORG (Marc Tardif), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning (was: ccd with other filesystems)

> > It adds the following functionality:
> > - up to 2^32 partitions (normally limited to 30 in FreeBSD).
> > - inter-operability with other OS's.
>
> OK, I rephrase that: it adds functionality that is seldom needed.
> Nearly all my boxes only run a single operating system, and there's no
> need for this additional bloat.

I have a box that shares a swap paritition between FreeBSD and
Linux, which can only be accomplisged via a DOS partition table.

I would bet that the vast majority of laptops have FreeBSD plus
a Microsoft OS installed on them, due to FreeBSD's inability to
run some increasingly common laptop hardware.

I also suspect that 95% of all FreeBSD machines with a DVD ROM
drive in them are dual boot, laptop or not: DVD EOM drives are
not better than CDROM drives, on FreeBSD.

I know that _ALL_ machines with a BIOS requirement for DOS
partitioning are running a DOS partition table.

I also know that all machines with a BIOS requirement, due to
antivirus requirements, which may be driven by the organization
making the purchase, for an MBR that passes the 8 validity tests
for an MBR, must be running something other than "dangerously
dedicated", since FreeBSDs boot records and its boot manager
do not pass these tests (e.g. the AA55 checksum to zero, etc.).

For that matter, I guarantee all legacy machines with large
drives are running an MBR that has a DOS partition table in
it, with the MBR loading a BIOS patching TSR to add LBA
support, and then adjusting the BIOS-visible location of
sector 0.

Also, if it's preferred, somehow, why do we call it "dangerously
dedicated" instead of just calling it "default"?

8-p

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---