Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:33:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
Cc:        webmaster@healthnet.es, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: host is not on local network

As I recall, Bob Bishop wrote:
> At 16:25 +0200 18/4/01, Webmaster wrote:
>> Since I built world with -stable (RC) sources of april 9, and still
>> after remaking world with sources of april 17, one of my servers
>> (call it host "A") is producing these logs:
>> Apr 18 13:18:26 A /kernel: arplookup <IP of B host> failed: host is
>> not on local network
>> Any suggestion?
>
> This kind of thing used to happen if you define an alias with a netmask
> other than 255.255.255.255.

I fear to re-open a frequently hashed discussion, but I still don't
completely understand the use of the netmask on an alias.  Basically
the advice here has been "use 0xffffffff".

But what, exactly, is the reason?  How is the netmask employed in
conjunction with an alias?

For example, the following is what I set up on my first machine that
used aliases.  It was a FreeBSD 2.1 web server that served two domains.

Excerpt from /etc/sysconfig
+---------------
| network_interfaces="lo0 ix0"
| ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
| ifconfig_ix0="inet freebie.dcfinc.com netmask 255.255.255.0"
| ifconfig_ix0_alias0="inet www.larsons.org netmask 255.255.255.0"

That's what seemed intuitive at the time, and it seem{ed,s} to work.

So, what's wrong with this picture, or did life change sometime
after 2.1.7 came out?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com