Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:39:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple cd devices

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> What about having
>  ./MAKEDEV cd0 cd1 cd4 -da2 da6-da9
> create cd0, cd1, cd4, da1, da2, da6, da7, da8, da9 ? This would be

It's not the unix way.  What's wrong with using standard utilities?

  sh MAKEDEV cd0 cd1 cd4 $(jot -w da 2) $(jot -w da 4 6)

(`jot -w da 2' is bug for bug compatible with your expanded list because
the default `begin' arg is 1, but disk numbers begin with 0, so -da2
should probably mean da0 da1 da2.)

I can never remember syntaxes for rarely used commands like jot and
MAKEDEV, so I would just type all the names if there are a small number
of units, or use a shell loop for a large number of units.

Bruce