Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 2020 14:05:02 +0530
From:      Rajesh Kumar <rajfbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to build a out-of-box network module with RSS

Hi Konstantin,

> Set KERNBUILDDIR env (or make) variable to the full path of the
> build directory for your custom kernel.

Thanks for your inputs. I tried setting the KERNBUILDDIR, but seems still
it's not taking the opt_rss.h properly. Not sure I am missing something.

I built and installed the custom kernel from a directory "freebsd_12_kern"
with the sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC added with the PCBGROUP and RSS options.  I
see the following obj directory

*/usr/obj/root/freebsd_12_kern/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC* -> where opt_rss.h
file has RSS defined.

After that, I tried to build my network module from another directory
"freebsd_12_dev" as below

*freebsd_12_dev/sys/modules/netgbe # make KERNBUILDDIR=
/usr/obj/root/freebsd_12_kern/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC *

which generates the following object module directory

*/usr/obj/root/freebsd_12_dev/amd64.amd64/sys/modules/netgbe* -> where
opt_rss.h file has RSS NOT defined.

Am I missing something? or doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Rajesh