Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:44:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X questions

I've got 2.2.7-RELEASE set up on my box at home running X.. it seems
to be running ok when I load it up, but I'm having some trouble
getting X to start from alt-f4 (ttyv3).  I'm using afterstep as my
window manager and I have the following in /etc/ttys..

# Virtual terminals
ttyv1 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" 		cons25  on  secure
ttyv2 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25  on  secure
ttyv3 "/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep"	xterm	on  secure

I've also tried it with xdm -nodaemon instead of afterstep, but
neither work.  My syslog spits out this message ever minute or two..

login: Sep 16 init:getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv3,
sleeping 30 secs

I'm guessing that may be root of the problem.  How do I fix that?  As
for afterstep, the only way I can get into it is by su'ing, starting
xdm, logging in, and at the prompt typing afterstep to start it.  Once
I do that it starts fine.. I'm sending this message from it now, but
there's gotta be a way to set it to be my default window manager...
I'm obviously missing someing here...

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

---
|=> Jim Mock - SysAdmin - Webmaster <=|
|=> Phear Dot Net | KidzHaven <=|
|=> Web Site Design & Hosting Services <=|
|=> email: jim@phrantic.phear.net <=|
|=> web: http://www.phear.net/ <=|
|=> web. http://www.kidzhaven.com/ <=|