Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:17:12 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Andrej.Brodnik@IMFM.Uni-Lj.SI (Andrej Brodnik (Andy))
Cc:        jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se, tony@ncsa.uiuc.edu, netdev@ncsa.uiuc.edu, charlie@infoworks.net, lebel@lebel.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD

At 6:17 AM +0100 11/23/00, Andrej Brodnik (Andy) wrote:
>  > Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:27:07 -0500
>>  From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
>>  Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD
>
>>  At 6:22 AM +0100 11/22/00, Andrej Brodnik (Andy) wrote:
>>  >
>>  >any progress/solution regarding this problem? My T20 doesn't
>>  >boot either if I label a partition as FreeBSD partition (type 165).
>>  >When I change the type of partition to 131 it works again
>>  >(unfortunatelly without FreeBSD booting).
>>
>>  I am afraid that we (here at RPI) haven't really investigated
>>  this all that much more.  For our purposes, we can dual-boot
>>  the original Win98 install and any FreeBSD install, and for
>>  most people that is "good enough".  We never have figured out
>>  how to dual-boot WinNT and FreeBSD, or if there is any way to
>>  have a T20 laptop which is only running FreeBSD.
>
>So, if I understand this correctly, you can dual-boot Win98 and
>FreeBSD on T20?

Yes.  We have something like 30 ThinkPad T20's which are working
quite well with a dual-boot setup.  That dual-boot setup is with
Win98 as the first partition, and FreeBSD (4.1.1, I think) in a
partition which was created by using partition magic to shrink
that first partition.

I do not know if we were "just lucky", or if there was some step
in what we did which solves the problem.

And as I said earlier, I do not have a laptop to test with, and
the people who DO have these working laptops are not in the mood
to run re-installs on them to discover what the magic is.