Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:57:54 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ot - software to wrap email to be run thru' procmail

On 2002-02-25 02:17, parv wrote:
> hi ya,
>
> i am in need of software to wrap email messages to be run thru'
> procmail recipe.
> does anybody have any other suggestions for a c, perl, rexx, or
> (ba|k|z)sh based program?  (i can fiddle w/ all the languages
> mentioned except c.)

I've used par from the ports, with varying degrees of success and
brokenness in the past.  Now I have become addicted to emacs' filling and
vim's gq intelligence.

Before you go on a wrap-the-world campaign though, you might want to
consider things like MIME-attachments and multipart messages.  In MIME,
sometimes the text is `wrapped' by escaping the newline with an
equal sign (`=') character at the end of an otherwise valid line.
What will happen if you wrap with par(1) the following paragraph from a
MIME-encoded multipart message?

	This is a very long line of text that will certainly have =
	to be wrapped, since the length is too large to fit in a =
	terminal window, even if you use the 132x25 text mode of the =
	FreeBSD syscons console.

When mailers decode this MIME part and wrap the text, they also remove the
equal signs, before wrapping.  I don't know of an easy way to do this with
par.  Note that I'm not saying it's impossible.  I just don't know if it
can be done.

Giorgos Keramidas                           FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}      http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/