Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 21:30:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        radova@risc6.unisa.ac.za (A. Radovanovic)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP and DNS problem

As A. Radovanovic wrote:

> I have 8 modems connected to my BSD system. From time to time, after login,
> the SLIP client can't get host name resolved, or can't get it resolved on
> some of the lines. When I reboot the machine everything is OK for some time.
>
> It seems that the server doesn't know the client's IP. I think that the DNS
> works fine - it resolves names, answers ping, ftp, www, telnet,...
> I'll appreciate it very much if somebody can give me a clue.

The server must always know the client's IP for SLIP (since it's not
negotiated).

It rather looks like the infamous "stale clone route" problem.  This
happens if a line breaks with active connections on it.  Subsequent
packets arriving for the IP address of the client whose line just
broke will not hit any host-specific route, and therefore will be
resolved via the default route, usually pointing back to the ethernet.
This causes a "clone route" to be allocated for this particular IP
host (you can see them with "netstat -ra"), and a subsequent login
attempt of the client causes the weird message "File exists" to appear
at ifconfig time of the SLIP interface (translate this into: "Route
exists").

The only known workaround by now is to delete any potential host route
to the intented new host address right before configuring the SLIP
interface.  It works for sax.sax.de now this way (yes, i've been
complaining about this problem before).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/