Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:07:32 -0800
From:      Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        "" <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>, Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two nics installed, only one visible

Quoting Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>:

> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 23:35, Daxbert wrote:
> > Quoting Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>:
> >
> > > Intel Pro100S
> > > 3COM OfficeConnect (3CSOHO100B)
> > >
> > > At installation, I had the Intel (fxp0) connected to the switch, and it
> > > was configured during the sysinstall stage. However, the 3COM nic never
> > > showed up after installation in dmesg (as far as I can tell, that is):
> > >
> > > But the 3COM *is* picked up from scanpci:
> > >
> > > pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x0a function 0x00: vendor 0x10b7 device 0x9300
> > >  3COM  Device unknown
> > >  CardVendor 0x10b7 card 0x9300 (3COM, Card unknown)
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> > >

> > It would appear that from /usr/src/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h that the device id
> 0x9300
> > is not present.  Because a reference for 0x9300 doesn't exist, you will
> have an
> > unknown 'card', and it won't use the driver.
> >

> I was just doing a search around FreeBSD tech sites and actually, this
> *specific* nic - 3CSOHO100B-TX isn't actually listed. What *is* listed
> in the Handbook is:
>
> 3cSOHO100-TX OfficeConnect adapter  <-- WHERE I WENT WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> In looking man xl(4) though, 3cSOHO100-TX OfficeConnect isn't even
> mentioned, far less for 3CSOHO100B-TX. So it appears that I've not done
> my homework on this one :-(
>
> > I've never done this... but one option would be to edit if_xlreg.h and
> *add*
> > support for your card and recompile and install the new kernel.
>
> Man.., I'd like to get this working.., but I'm not sure about editing
> those files - not a programmer, you see. Is the HURRICANE_SOHOTX
> actually the one to edit, for instance?

In a previous email I mentioned my logic behind picking the HURRICANE SOHO,
because it was the only one which mentioned SOHO in the name.

I did some further research (google: 0x9300 SOHO) and found that this card isn't
 based on the HURRICANE chipset at all:

http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-vortex/2002-Dec/0054.html

the author mentions that it's a 'tulip' based card. Tulip is a DEC
ASIC. First make sure the de driver is enabled, and disable your existing xl
driver.  And hope for the best.

If it's still undetected... you'd need to hack into the tulip files... I'd
recommend this if you are comfortable with booting alternate kernels.  That way,
if you break the kernel it's not a big deal.

if_de.c and if_devar.h (both in /usr/src/sys/pci) are the files in question.

good luck

--daxbert