Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:52:06 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Brandon Hicks <fbsdsec@killaz-r-us.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Remote logging

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 04:29:13PM -0600, Brandon Hicks wrote:

> [...]

Not much point. You can always send a SIGKILL which cannot be caught
by the process. The attacker would have to cooperate by sending
syslogd(8) a SIGTERM or SIGINT, but why would he do that?

There really is nothing you can do about getting logs from a machine
once it is 0wn3d. Your only hope is that the attack itself will leave
some traces before the attacker has the accesses necessary to disrupt
the logging or that the changes the attacker makes leaves some
noticable signature (e.g., lack of mark messages).