Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 2021 13:45:27 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        dashdruid <dashdruid@protonmail.ch>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 13.0 terrible performance in KVM

> Am 24.04.2021 um 11:25 schrieb dashdruid via freebsd-stable =
<freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> Hello List,
>=20
> I hope some other folks out there running FreeBSD on KVM as well. I =
set up a base VM while doing so I noticed that the disk operations are =
very slow. Many times I edit a file in vim or try to run a command there =
is a huge lag.

It=E2=80=99s a huge and common problem that has been going on for years.
I also had the same problem with XenServer.

You can search bugzilla for =E2=80=9EKVM=E2=80=9C bugs, as well as the =
forums.

Apparently, it was mostly fixed for VMWare, but fixing for KVM is =
apparently very difficult. Even more so as there are many different =
versions of KVM around that all behave differently, depending on how you =
configure the virtual hardware (of which there are endless variations =
and permutations on how you attach with virtual devices to which virtual =
PCI-bus etc.pp.).
It=E2=80=99s also likely fixed on AWS (but I do not use that, so I =
hardly care).

E.g. when I created a KVM VM on my local workstation at work, it =
performed identically (more or less) to e.g. a CentOS VM.

However, if I create a VM on our on-premise Openstack cloud, it achieves =
maybe 10% or 20% of the disk-IO-speed of a CentOS VM with the same =
volume type.

There=E2=80=99s some work going on in some differentials, but I =
haven=E2=80=99t had the time to try.

The problem is IMHO that most of the paid developers (for FreeBSD) these =
days either use it on bare metal (hello Netflix, EMC, Netapp, Netgate =
et.al.) or use it inside VMWare, where the main pain-points seem to have =
been fixed. Or they even use FreeBSD=E2=80=99s own hypervisor (bhyve).

It=E2=80=99s a tragedy IMO and it totally rules out FreeBSD here around =
for almost all future use-cases (that are almost certainly moving to =
Openstack in the future).