Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 05:08:41 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>, Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848 channel frequencies

Randall
>  |/etc/tuner.rc:
>  |[Glasgow]    # Location name
>  |UK           # Country name (from the /usr/local/share file)
>  |BBC 1    E30  +0.001
>  |BBC 2    E37  +0.500
>  |CH 5     E38  0.0
>  |MY VCR   E36  -0.333
>  |*** Note the Fine Tuning offsets need to be stored too.
>
> We need a channel set tie-in between these files (a countryname+format
> tie-in, in the above terminology)

I agree. I have cable and antenna TV too.
I would expect to have
  [Glasgow-Cable]    # Location name
  UK           # Country name (from the /usr/local/share file)
  BBC 1    E30  +0.001
  BBC 2    E37  +0.500

  [Glasgow-Antenna]    # Location name
  UK           # Country name (from the /usr/local/share file)
  BBC 1    E51  +0.000
  BBC 2    E48 + 0.000

>  |This second file in /etc should be writable by FXTV
>  |either directly or via the library.
>
> You might not have intended what this implied.

Yeah, I meant the libray should be doing all the work.
oops.

> Makes sense.  Maybe a system default could be installed in /etc/tuner.rc
> once it's been cooked by a priviledged user.  So maybe libtv would always
> write the updates to a cfg file in $HOME, but when reading, it would pull in
> /etc/tuner.rc if it doesn't find a $HOME version.  Just a thought.

Sensible idea.

> I definitely agree on the this scope, though I'm not particular about the
> interface (uint_64 vs struct, etc. -- just something general enough to
> handle all worldwide TV and radio <whew!>).

ok.

> Ideally, it would be nice to be able to plug in new TV drivers under the
> hood with little effort on the app end of things.  This might encourage the
> prospective multimedia driver hackers out there.  No need to write your own
> apps.  Use what's there, write driver, and patch in the appropriate stubs
> to "libtuner" (or whatever it is called).

Video4Linux went this way. Now thay have loads of TV apps and grabbing
apps and V4L drivers for several types of hardware.

Video4Linux2 is much better thought out.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.