Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2019 15:41:51 -0800
From:      Marcel Flores <marcel@brickporch.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThunderX Networking

> On Jul 13, 2019, at 1:46 PM, Marcel Flores <marcel@brickporch.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi All,
>=20
> I had some time to poke around at the issue regarding:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2019-April/019798.html
>=20
> On boot, with 13-CURRENT (r349796) dmesg dumps the following message:
>=20
> bgx0: Could not find Matching PHY
>=20
> Which seems to come from here:
> =
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vnic/thunder_bgx_fd=
t.c#L456
>=20
> Playing around with some debugging output, it seems like the check is =
falling
> through when it checks for matching device names:
>=20
> =
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vnic/thunder_bgx_fd=
t.c#L196
>=20
> But when I dump the string that it=E2=80=99s comparing to, by adding =
the following above line 196:
>=20
> device_printf(bgx->dev, "Matching Names: %s to %s\n", phys_name, =
type);
>=20
> It seems like the match is very "close", but maybe something minute is =
getting
> in the way:
>=20
> bgx0: Checking for length and name
> bgx0: Matching names: xfi00 to xfi
> bgx0: Matching names: xfi01 to xfi
> bgx0: Matching names: xfi02 to xfi
> bgx0: Matching names: xfi03 to xfi
> bgx0: Could not find matching PHY
> device_attach: bgx0 attach returned 6
> bgx0: <ThunderX BGX Ethernet I/O Interface> mem =
0x87e0e1000000-0x87e0e13fffff,0x87e0e1400000-0x87e0e17fffff at device =
0.129 on pci1
> bgx0: Matching names: xlaui10 to xlaui
> device_attach: bgx0 attach returned 6
>=20
> In particular, it seems to be failing the second part of the check, =
that
> ensure's a "\0" or a "@" after the name.
>=20
> Could this be an issue with the FDT setup for the thunderx? Maybe =
something
> simple or an indicator of bigger issues?  Am I barking up the wrong =
tree? Happy
> to do any further digging if anyone has any ideas!
>=20
> Thanks,
> -Marcel

Hi All,

Took another look at the this. It seems the issue arose in this commit:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS334880

Manually removing the additional check and building a kernel allowed it =
match the PHY device.

Following the steps outlined here:

=
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2015-November/012612.html

and was able to get the onboard NIC working.

This feels very much like a bug in the check logic of rS334880 to me, =
but
I admit I'm out of my depth on what exactly it's checking for.

-Marcel