Date:      Sun, 7 May 1995 16:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        karl@bagpuss.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 'ZAPPA' motherboard -details?

>  >>
>  >> I understand triton boards give better performance using
>  >> pipelined burst SRAM for the cache, and EDO SIMMS.  (right?)
>
>  > It is better in performance without these options too.
>
>  >> Can you mix standard fast page SIMMS & EDO simms on the same
>  >> motherboard?
>
>  > Not to my knowledge.
>
> What is the difference between "EDO" simms and "normal" simms?

EDO stands for Extended Data Out, I don't have any technical books
that cover just what changed in the DRAM design at this time, though
my new set of Micron Technology memory books shipped on Thursday so
I will have the ``official'' story very soon.

My current understanding is that EDO simms basically hold valid data
on the output after RAS has been brought inactive, this allows you
to start the RAS precharge time early, effectively eliminating the
difference between access and cycle times on DRAM.