Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:45:40 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>, stijn@win.tue.nl, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nbm@mithrandr.moria.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed new 'options' target

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:18:24PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> > That would be optimal.  However, I wouldn't get too excited about
> > putting things in the base system.  There's no reason for that to
> > be necessary -- we can simply have bsd.port.mk depend on a port
> > being installed to support this feature.  That way, systems that
> > have already been released can have their cake and eat it too.
>
> like the sed_inplace stuff. though i think that things _needed_ to build
> a port should be in the base system (like the sed -i now both in current
> and stable)

Actually, I disagreed with how the sed inplace stuff was
implemented and still believe it is rather suboptimal.  However,
I don't particularly care and don't wish to make a big fuss over it.

Regarding the "need" to be in the base system, I think that
"need" should be evaluated very strictly.  We don't really NEED
options to build ports, right?  :)

> > Looks ok.  Though I don't understand the need for a "version"
> > line.  What are "sel", "msel", and "text"?
>
> version is for a change in the options. if the options don't change
> there is no point in presenting the options over and over again when
> updating and compiling.
> but if there is a change (options removed or added) the old saved
> options may be no more valid. so the user needs to choose again.

If the options are changed, wouldn't this be reflected in
PORTREVISION?  I suppose, an additional granularity wouldn't hurt
things too much.

> sel, msel and text are some ideas for options that might be needed for
> some ports. maybe for language selection, themes, or whatever. dunno
> really. but i thought there may be a need for that.

If you can't clarify what the purpose would be, you surely can't
implement their usage, and thus they have no purpose here.

Regards,
--
wca