Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 00:41:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootFORTH - demo floppy

At Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:23:48 -0800, you wrote

>> 2) Could someone please add the 30-years old traditional
>> "ok<newline>" prompt in interpreting mode?
>
>The prompt is fully configurable; set it yourself if that's what you
>want.

Ok. I did not know the prompt was configurable.

>> 3) I noticed "evaluate" is working with null-ended string, ignoring
>> completely the count on the stack. Not good.
>
>Is this an implementation feature?  Does the count on the stack ever
>not match the length of the string?

I'm not sure what do you mean with the first question. As for the second
question... sure. Forth string operators are all count based. The null will
not appear on the end of the string unless you put it there yourself.

Now, adding nulls to the end of the string is very easy with count based
strings (as long as you are not working with a substring), and I have nothing
against doing it. But having "evaluate" operate on null-terminated strings is
the same as having strncmp operate on null-terminated strings: it's against
standard and intent.

--
Daniel C. Sobral
dcs@newsguy.com