Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 22:05:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

:OK, now maybe I'm missing something here.  But an Ethernet address is
:used to identify a board.  Arp binds it to an IP address.  An IP
:address is bound to a network.  So if you're on a different network,
:you get a different IP address.  Why do you need the same Ethernet
:address?

You need a switch to do this.  If your clients are on the same ethernet as
your server, they can only talk to one MAC address.  That means you only get
the bandwidth of one interface.  If you have a switch that can bond ports
together, you can use both cards at the same time, transparently to everybody
but the driver and the switch.  I know that NetWare supports this, as do some
Bay switch, and surely some Cisco stuff.

David