Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:30:25 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral
References:  <20010706144935.A61843@xor.obsecurity.org> <3B4650D0.97F10B83@bellatlantic.net> <20010707002340.B16071@widomaker.com> <20010707004731V.jkh@osd.bsdi.com> <3B49F8D5.2C9BFA73@mindspring.com> <3B4A0124.26025FB5@iowna.com> <3B4A1423.E8E365E@mindspring.com> <86ofqth6p3.fsf@hades.hell.gr> <3B4A7D9C.A64230D9@softweyr.com> <3B4B07DE.4801D208@iowna.com> <3B4B1B66.C011BF2B@softweyr.com> <3B4B32F3.7AC70D66@iowna.com> <3B4C0C3A.64E05112@softweyr.com>

Wes Peters wrote:
> > Hmmm ... well, I was never upset with the "crufty details" ... I rather
> > like
> > to know what's going on under the hood all the time. Then again, that's
> > me. If you're targeting newbies and other less-educated (or less "I sure
> > would like to figure this out" inclined) people, then what you're
> > suggesting would probably be a good idea.
>
> Uh, yeah, by definition, we're targeting people who have never seen
> FreeBSD before -- that's what an installer is all about.  This is a
> lesson I had pounded into me the hard way many years ago by Rob Clyde,
> who was at that time trying to get people to buy the software I was
> writing.  The lesson: "If they can't install it, they'll never know
> how good it is."

<snip good business story>

I'll have to say that if I've been arguing against other people on this,
I can't honestly argue against that logic. You're absolutely right that
a lot of people will abort from trying something new at the first sign
troubble. Thus the installer has to be super-simple and reliable and all
that other stuff.
I guess the thing that I'm worried about, which hasn't been explicitly
stated but I've inferred from the conversation, is that a new installer
will take on some characteristics of other installers that I despise.
These characteristics can be broadly classified as "The software thinks
it knows best, even when it doesn't have a clue, and will refuse to
allow you to fix its mistakes."
Having access to the crufty details gives me a lot of control and keeps
me from saying, "I don't know what's wrong and I don't know how to fix
it." I can never honestly say that with any open-source software, because
I can always dig around in the source until I find what's wrong.
So, on this topic, what I really WANT to say is: please don't make the
crufty details inaccessable while making the interface easier to use.

Along with that, I think I'm finally getting a handle on what really
needs done to sysinstall. It's been a painful process, wrought with
misunderstandings and confusion, but I think I'm finally getting what
the point is.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?