Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:19:04 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mh_lists@digitalspy.co.uk>
To:        "Andrea Bacchet" <baccheta@cae.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail single ip network (FreeBSD 4.5)

> Greetings Mark,
>
> I had seen a mention of this somewhere, therefore I had
> already edited my (jail) /etc/hosts to include a line for my hosts
> IP and hostname.
>
> Is this what you meant in your e-mail? Cause this has
> been done already within the jail. Not to mention, my resolve.conf
> in the jail includes my domain nameservers, but it doesn't seem
> to be working.

That is what I meant - but that's from my experience with real boxes, i've
not used Jail i'm afraid, so can't help with the specifics there.

> If I run ftp (only other machine I knew ip by heart :)
> I can connect if I enter the IP, but not if I just enter the
> name on our network.
>
> Am I correct in assuming the resolve.conf isn't being
> used from within the jail? Is it possible to have that working
> within the jail? How?

It does sound like it's not working within the jail - Does /etc/resolv.conf
within the jail have the nameservers in it?

Sorry I can't be more help - as I said, i've barely touched on jails - it's
just those delays are absolutely typical of failed hostname lookups.

Regards,
Mark