Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        adhir@rocks.worldbank.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS?

Brian Somers writes:
> I think Julian agrees - none unless the SLICE stuff is implemented.
> I've no idea why it was taken out either - maybe Julian made the
> diagnostics too verbose :-)
>
> Seriously, IMHO, the DEVFS/SLICE commit was as impressive as the
> recent [EPC]-days (and D-day would have had a certain ring to it).
> It was a far more radical idea though - both a strength and a
> weakness!

It would be a shame if the SLICE idea wasn't implemented in *some*
form, either Julian's or Poul's model or somewhere in between.

<philosophy>

Maybe it's just not possible to reach 'rough concensus' but I doubt
that. More likely, the relatively small number of people who
understand all of the issues (not me) must simply find time to work
out how to do it. This is not easy because folks are busy and
there's a lot of complexity and everybody loves their own pet idea
for how to do it. Also, there's a minimum amount of communication
between the relevant parties that is required.

However, it's the opportunities to re-architect major chunks of
code that define whether an O/S evolves and improves or wallows in
mediocrity. The non-modularity of FreeBSD's disklabel/driver/filesystem
code will make future cool ideas (eg, striping) harder to implement.
It would be a shame to miss an opportunity to fix this.

As a success story, we have the unified buffer/VM cache. DEVFS is
close, but needs to be finished so it can become 'standard'. Etc..

Seems to me like the SLICE idea just needs more thoughtful discussion
(probably will have to wait until after '3-day' :-)

</philosophy>

-Archie