Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 01:53:50 -0400
From:      steve2@genesis.tiac.net (Steve Gerakines)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/347: ft0 not detected at boot

> I'll try to make this less restrictive, so this flag will no longer be
> needed for the ``more common'' tape drives.  (It is needed for things
> like an Insight tape that require the motor lines to be enabled, and
> hence clash with connected diskette drives even during a false probe.)

That's fine to force a probe for them.  What I'd like to find out from
an Insight owner is what unit numbers can be selected on their tape
drives (jumpers??).  The logic I submitted a while back was to not
probe an Insight if there is known to be a real floppy drive using
that unit number.  If Insight owners can set their unit number to
something like 2 (or 1 if they have only one disk) then it won't
interfere with disks.

Also, any idea how to set a 2Mb/s transfer rate on some of the newer
fdc's?  (I was told such a chip exists but who knows. :-))  I've added
support for 1Mb/s transfers and fifo's when using tape on my system
but I'd like to be able to test for 2 as well.

- Steve
steve2@genesis.tiac.net