Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:21:20 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>
Subject:   Re: New RCorder: abi loaded too late

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:39:53PM +0800, Xin LI wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the recent rcorder change, we were able to
>> start /usr/local/etc/rc.d in the same rcorder pass.  However, because
>> abi was started late in the startup process, we have potentially broke
>> the services written for older FreeBSD releases, or other operating
>> systems, which were written to use rc.d scripts.
>>
>> Shall we move abi to be started before SERVERS?
>
> Seems fine, I'd recommend:
>
> # REQUIRE: mountcritremote
> # BEFORE: SERVERS
>
> The current requirement of LOGIN makes no sense.

Agreed on the last, but can we modify SERVERS to REQUIRE abi instead? I
would prefer not to add new instances of BEFORE in /etc/rc.d without good
reason. I'd also vote for REQUIRE syslogd in abi personally, but I won't
quibble on that point.

One quick meta-issue if I can hijack Xin's thread for a minute, now that we
are including the local scripts in the overall rcorder, and as more ports
are converted to take advantage of this, we will see more of these instances
where the stuff in the base that always "just worked" before will need to be
twiddled. This is expected, and I thank Xin for bringing this one to our
attention.

Doug