Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2019 12:51:48 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>, Kyle Evans <kevans@FreeBSD.org>, Toomas Soome <tsoome@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12 and Nocona

Am 08.01.2019 um 10:34 schrieb Marek Zarychta =
<zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>:
> W dniu 03.01.2019 o 14:13, Stefan Bethke pisze:
>>> I have under supervision a few old servers running 11.2-STABLE. The
>>> hardware is almost for retirement, but still in working condition. =
It's
>>> all old Nocona NetBurst microarchitecture. I have recently tried do
>>> upgrade OS two of them to 12.0-STABLE, but failed. When I use old
>>> bootloader the boot freezes on blue highlighted "Booting" stage, =
when I
>>> tried to use 12 loader, it freezes earlier, on loading kernel =
modules.
>>> The kernel was compiled from fresh sources for CPUTYPE?=3Dnocona.
>>> 11.2-STABLE is fine with this optimization and the same kernel boots
>>> fine on newer hardware.
>>>=20
>>> It is fair, that 11 EOL is expected September 30, 2021 and these =
servers
>>> will likely be retired before this date, but some questions arise:
>>>=20
>>> Is such old hardware still supported? Is it possible (how to) debug =
the
>>> booting process?
>>=20
>> The first step is to try with known-good bits: can you boot these =
machines off the 12.0 ISO or memstick images? Can you load your kernel =
and modules with the loader from the ISO/memstick? Does GENERIC built =
without any flags work?
>>=20
>> If any of these don=E2=80=99t work, try to be as specific as possible =
when reporting problems. For example, the exact make of mainboard (kenv =
output) and the BIOS version, and any relevant BIOS settings are likely =
important for problems regarding the loader. If the kernel and modules =
load, you can try a verbose boot to see better how far the kernel gets.
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=99d be really surprised if the CPUs themselves would cause =
trouble.
>=20
>=20
> The first step is done. The affected hardware doesn't boot from =
official
> 12.0-RELEASE CD either. Loader also freezes at the stage of loading
> kernel modules. These servers are old Maxdata Platinum 500 and 3200.
> Some time ago I have submitted dmesgs to NYC BUG dmesg =
repository[1][2].
>=20
> Both configurations are fine with 11-STABLE, so I am not going to
> upgrade them and I am replying only FYI.
>=20
>=20
> [1] https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=3Dview&id=3D3790 =
<https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=3Dview&id=3D3790>;
> [2] https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=3Dview&id=3D4111 =
<https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=3Dview&id=3D4111>;
I think it would be great to get some input from someone familiar with =
the new loader. I=E2=80=99ve cc=E2=80=99ed Warner, Kyle and Toomas, as =
they were listed in the quarterly status report.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811