Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:21:46 -0500
From:      Jeremy Fincher <jfincher@cinci.rr.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't use internet after recompiling kernel

Yep.  I did a bit of trial and error compiling and rebooting, compiling
and rebooting, until I found the problem, and it was the bpfilter.
Thank you for taking the time to read through that entire file!

Now, I do have a few questions: First of all, why is something with
"security and privacy implications" required for something as simple as
dhcp?

And also, this is just for my information: I ran NT with my cable modem
for about 3 weeks.  During that time I rebooted many times and never
changed IP addresses.  It was definitely nice.

Then I ran Linux for at least a month.  Every single time I rebooted, I
would end up with a new IP address.  Everytime.  It was not nice; I
constantly had to tell my friends my new IP address when they wanted any
files from me, or wanted to play quake3 on my server.

Now, I've not been using FreeBSD for long (about half a day so far) and
I don't intend to reboot often, but I've noticed, through all this
testing with my kernel and such, that my IP address does not change
every time I reboot. It's stayed the same probably through 5 or more
reboots, even.

My first question about this is why are these operating systems
different?

My second, is can I look forward to those weeks (or more) of IP address
stability that I got in NT, even rebooting at least once a day or so?

Ok, and also, the linux netscape seemed much more stable in linux than
the freebsd netscape seems in freebsd.  Should I try the linux netscape
in emulation mode?

Thanks for all the time taken to answer these questions.

Jeremy