Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 01:09:04 -0800
From:      Tristan Savatier <tristan@mpegtv.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org, don@partsnow.com
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> > > XIE is supposed to provide a general image plus conversion facility as
> > > to if I can get different vendors to accelerate XIE is a different
> > > story.
> >
> > What's XIE ? Is that like XIL ?
>
> X Imaging extensions.
>
> > By the way, another point: Microsoft is already working on an API
> > that takes interlaced into consideration.  They do that because
> > it becomes possible to implement MPEG-2 (DVD) in software, using
> > MMX and some hardware acceleration.
>
> You probably need a PII 300Mhz to do that and then your PC
> can only do that .

At comdex, I have seem the Compcore DVD player run at 22 Frames/sec
on a P200 with a graphic card that does hardware MCP, YUV->RGB
and Zoom. (Note: MCP = Motion Compensation).

> With Linux, FreeBSD, OSS and XFree86 it can recover.

Possible, but all the money that my company sees comes from
people running Solaris or HP, unfortunately.  I have seem
no revenue at all from the Linux market, except a few dollar
per month from shareware.  With Solaris, HP etc, people are
ready to pay tens of thousand of dollars to get some
multimedia technology.

> The issue
> with the traditional workstation is cost both of software and hardware
> which we can drive down with PC platforms.

Yes, but the FBI, the CIA, NASA, and all the other big
Unix corporate customers don't run Linux too much...

> We are not hacking on FreeBSD for $$$.

Good for you.  I have passed the age where I was doing that
just for fun.  Now I work only for fun + $$$$. And I mean
real $$$$, not just enough to pay my rent.

 -t