Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:17:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Darius Moos <moos@degnet.baynet.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ethernet alias setup

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Darius Moos wrote:

> >	I know, I lost the reply and couldn't find it.  I found this in
> >the FreeBSD Mailig List archives, would this also work?
>
> Not as is. Some little modifications are needed under FreeBSD-2.1.5:

	I thought that was under 2.1.5R.

> When chaining alias-arguments in one ifconfig-command, ifconfig only
> executes the first alias, the trailing aliases are dropped. So every
> alias needs an own ifconfig-call. You would have to shift through the
> words of the line
> >alias_ed1="alias x.x.x.x alias y.y.y.y alias z.z.z.z"
> and extract the appropriate arguments for ifconfig in the for-loop.

	I tried the original method last night and came to the same
conclusion.  It seems like the word alias would have to be somewhere in
the ifconfig line at the end of the line for it to work but your method
does work.  How do I find out what ip's the interface is configured for
since ifconfig ed1 would only show the primary ip number.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET
Unix Networking Operations
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate